What is Sub-Ohm Vaping?
What is Sub-Ohm Vaping?
Sub-ohm vaping is basically while using an e-cigarette that has a coil with a resistance level of less than one ohm.
Resistance is how much opposition is registered to the regular flow of electricity in a circuit, ie a coil in an atomizer. Ohms are just the standard of measurement of this resistance and is identified with this symbol Ω.
It’s that simple!
Consequently, it means that if you are vaping at a resistance level of 1 ohm or higher, you are above-ohm vaping. Anything other than that is sub-ohm vaping, sometimes, they also refer to it as sub-ohming.
Sub-ohm vaping is now accessible to everybody.
The market has changed pretty quickly over the last couple of years. Until quite recently, only experienced vapers were sub-ohming . It was required some understanding of coil building and the knowledge of the Ohm’s law.
Due to the growing demand, the quality, and variety of e cigarettes has improved dramatically in the last years. Therefore, this has introduced safer, better(and nicer) devices that allow you to sub-ohm vaping without any risk.
Nowadays, you can even find several sub-ohm starter kits. While they might not offer an as intense experience as a box mod, however, they let you step into the sub-ohm world.
The Main Factors Of Sub-Ohm Vaping
There is only one major factor that defines sub-ohming, and that is the coil resistance. Two other factors,voltage and wattage, play also a role in determining the overall experience.
A measure of the potential of a particular material to reduce the electric current passing through it.
Firstly, you can think of coil resistance as the thickness of a water pipe. The thicker the pipe, the more water will flow through it. Likewise, if the coil has more surface area, it will have a lower resistance and will allow more current to pass through it. But if the coil is thin, it will have less surface area and will need more power (voltage) to let the current go through. That means the resistance and wattage output are inversely proportional, while voltage and wattage are directly proportional.
Initially, the manufacturers tried to offer a better vaping experience by improving the power and quality of the batteries. However, it was just a matter of time before they hit the limits posed by hardware and technology. It was only then that they turned their attention to the resistance of the coil. Slightly lowering the resistance of the coil immensely increased the overall wattage output. Consequently, this gave birth to sub-ohm vaping.
The force or potential difference of any power source expressed in volts.
In our e-cigarettes, this is the power generated by the batteries. The usual voltage range of the 18650 lithium-ion batteries is between 3.7 to 4.5 volts (although you may find batteries with much higher voltage).
The higher the voltage, the higher the wattage will be. However, if the resistance goes up, you’ll need more energy to get the same wattage.
Electromotive power output expressed in watts.
This is the actual power that the unit generates at the end of the day. In other words, more wattage means more heat produced, more vapor, and ideally more flavor.
Understanding the difference between them can be confusing, but since a vaporizer is an electrical device, it is important to have at least some basic knowledge.
Sub-Ohm Vaping Pros
- Firstly, the biggest advantage of sub-ohm vaping is the huge vapour production. People who want to take their experience to a whole new level are usually going for this option. In addition, Cloud chasers and those competing in vaping competitions, totally love sub-ohm vaping.
- Secondly, more vapor also means more flavor. Although the wider airflow might diminish the flavor to some extent, unless you are doing direct lung hits, sub-ohm vaping usually increases the overall flavor. That is because you are inhaling a lot more vapor than when you are doing above-ohm vaping.
- Thirdly, more satisfaction because of a stronger hit and more nicotine. This is why with sub-ohm vaping we recommend a lower nicotine strength . As a result, you will have a lot more nicotine going into your lungs(compared to above-ohm vaping with the same nicotine strength).
- Finally, if you prefer warm vapor, you will love sub-ohmvaping. However, if you prefer a cooler vape, then this might be not the right choice.
Sub-Ohm Vaping Cons
- First, sub-ohm vaping is not always a right choice for new vapers, as too muchvapor can be overwhelming .
- Second, sub-ohm vaping way more expensive than the above-ohm vaping gear.
- Third, compared to above-ohm kits, it consumes a lot more e-juice and is also a lot more expensive in the long-run
- Fourth, the coils burn faster and need to be replaced sooner, this can increase fix costs unless you go for a rebuildable tank.
- Lastly, it is not an ideal option for those who love mouth to lung
While sub-ohm vaping can be a lot of fun for some people, for others it can be overwhelming. Even so, the good news is that with the latest vaporizers available on the market nowadays, sub-ohm vaping is now safer. To increase your safety when sub-ohm vaping, make sure to check for any damage to the batteries and any other components.Furthermore, it can be enjoyed by anyone, regardless of their experience. It’s a hobby that’s quickly become a sport. All in all, sub-ohm vaping is a big thing and is here to stay for a while . However, don’t just blindly follow the trends, do some research, ask your fellow vape friends or your favourite store and vape in a way that’s matching your vaping expectations and desires.
Happy cloud chasing!